For too many families in Ontario, it is getting harder and harder to pay the bills and make ends meet. Over the last four years, the cost of buying a home in Ontario has doubled, rent has gone up by $200 a month, and prices keep climbing at the grocery store. Despite Doug Ford’s promises of lower gasoline and hydro prices, gasoline prices have climbed as much as 50 cents a litre and electricity rates continue to climb. Instead of helping families get ahead, Doug Ford has made life more difficult – whether it’s freezing the minimum wage, scrapping student aid, or cancelling Ontario’s drug program. We need a plan to really make life more affordable.
Kristyn and the NDP will:
- Tackle the housing crisis by cracking down on speculation, increasing affordable housing supply, bringing back real rent control, and fixing the Landlord and Tenant Board
- Reduce auto insurance rates by ending postal code discrimination, exploring all avenues to reduce rates, and enforcing transparency
- Deliver affordable child care by speeding up the timeline for $10-a-day child care, increasing wages for child care workers, and reducing fees for before and after school care
- Start fixing the electricity sector by expanding renewable energy, conserving energy, ending privatization, and stopping waste
- Make groceries more affordable through a provincial food strategy
- Protect consumers by regulating gas to stop gouging at the pumps, banning predatory payday loans, and establishing an independent Consumer Watchdog