Following the build-up of snow and ice this week and with significant rainfall expected today, to help protect you and your home today:
- Ensure there is a channel for the melting snow and rain to make its way to the catch basin.
- Ensure downspouts are not blocked with snow or ice and are draining properly.
- Shovel melting snow away from your foundation and onto a lawn, not the road please.
- Clear catch basins, if it safe to do so.
- Prepare your basement by moving valuables to shelves or upper floors. Cleaners, paint or chemicals should also be taken off the floor so that they do not contaminate any floodwater that may get into your home.
If your basement has flooded:
- Call 311 immediately to report basement flooding. During extreme weather conditions residents should expect high call volumes and some delays. Calls will be answered by the first available agent.
- Call Toronto Hydro to disconnect power if there is flood water in your basement and your power is on.
- Call your insurance company as soon as possible to report property damage caused by flooding.
- Be mindful of your health and safety when cleaning up a flooded basement – do not stand in flood water, call a professional for assistance.
Start planning now:
- Take this opportunity now to plan for future rainstorms that tend to be more prevalent in the spring and summer. More information about basement flooding prevention is available on the City of Toronto’s website at http://www.toronto.ca/basementflooding.