Traffic & Traffic Calming

Requesting Traffic Calming
If there is a concern about speeding, one of the measures the City can take is to install calming traffic measures, typically through speed humps. Speed humps are not appropriate on every street. The City will not install them on TTC bus routes, and Emergency Services may raise concerns if their response times would be impacted.

The City will not make significant changes, such as adding speed humps, without confidence that those changes are supported by the majority of the community. The first step is typically to receive a petition signed by at least 25% of affected households (or 10% in case of multi-family rental dwellings) in favour of the installation. From there, city staff will formally poll residents and review the safety and technical requirements of adding calming traffic measures. That will result in a recommendation that will be brought to Toronto and East York Community Council.

Our office can put you in touch with Transportation Services staff, who can give you the correct wording for your petition and which households on the street should be petitioned.

Read more information about traffic calming measures.

Speeding Complaints
If you notice that people are regularly driving above the speed limit on a road, then you need to notify Toronto Police Services. You can report speeding and other traffic complaints to Toronto Police Services by clicking here

Please see above to request Traffic Calming if you wish to explore adding speed humps. Please note that the city does not consider stop signs to be a calming traffic measure.

Speed Limit Requests
Through the City's Road Safety Plan, many speed limits have been reduced across the City. Within Ward 13, most residential neighbourhoods have has their local speeds reduced to 30 km/h. For roads that were formerly unsigned, staff are undertaking additional work to identify locations for the new signs. This process has been taking some time, and work on installing new signs will be continuing through 2017 and beyond.

Where not signed, the current default speed limit on a road is 50 km/h. You can request changes to speed limits to Transportation Services through 311. Staff will investigate and, if they find a change in speed is warranted, will bring that amendment to Toronto and East York Community Council. You can contact 311 if you are unsure what the approved speed limit is on a local road.

Crosswalk/Signalized Intersection Requests
If you believe an intersection should have either a pedestrian crossover or a signalized intersection, you can make a request to Transportation Services through 311.

Staff will investigate and see if the crossover or signalized intersection meets the warrants to install one. Factors staff look at include the amount of traffic (pedestrians and vehicular), the number of conflicts between individuals attempting to cross an intersection, and whether there have been accidents over the previous three years that may have been prevented if a crossover or signalized intersection had been installed. Other warrants include the distance to other crossovers/signalized intersections, and if the installation would impact transit service.

In the event that staff recommend the installation of a new pedestrian crossover or signalized intersection, a report will go to Toronto and East York Community Council.

Take action

Invite Me To Your Event
Community Resources
Contact 311
Phone: 416-392-7903
Constituency Office: 100 Queen St W, A5, Toronto, ON M5H 2N2