New Developments & Tenants

Development in the City of Toronto is ongoing and renters deserve to know their rights. When you receive notice saying your building is being demolished, these are things to keep in mind: 

Replacement of Private-Market Rental Housing

The Planning Act only requires developers to find replacement of private-market rental housing for buildings with six or more rental units. If your building has less than six rental units, it is still important that you do not sign any paperwork and organize with your neighbours to seek advice from the Landlord and Tenant Board

What You Need to Know

  • You have the right to stay in your rental unit after receiving a notice of a demolition application.
  • You will typically have the right to return to a rental replacement unit in the new development.
  • The approval of rental housing demolition applications can be a lengthy process. It may take several months or even years. During this time you can stay in your home.

Notice to Vacate Your Rental Unit

After the demolition application is approved by the City Council, you will be given at least four months notice to vacate your rental unit when demolition is close to occurring.

  • During this time you are entitled to good building maintenance.
  • You should not be subject to harassment.
  • You can leave as early as 10 days after receiving the notice, or stay until the end of the notice period.

Compensation and Moving Allowance

You may be eligible for compensation. If you are eligible, you will receive notice alongside your notice to vacate.

  • You may also receive a moving allowance.
  • Or other financial compensation based upon the length of your tenancy.
  • During construction, you may be given the option of moving into an alternative unit at a different property owned by your landlord. This would serve as temporary housing until your replacement unit is ready.

Right to a Replacement Unit

If the right to return applies, you will be sent a notice of your eligibility along with your notice to vacate before the demolition. This will allow you to sign up for a replacement unit.

  • You must sign the lease for your replacement unit about two to three months before occupancy to confirm it.
  • The replacement unit will be the same bedroom type as you currently have and generally the same size as well.

Rent Increases After Demolition and Construction

If you decide to move into a new replacement unit, your rent will be based on the same rent that you currently pay, and a one-time ‘new building allowance’ increase of 4% will be permitted.

Tenants with Special Needs

Some tenants may qualify for more support based on special needs. You can speak with the City of Toronto Planner managing the demolition application if you would like to discuss your need for additional assistance.

Questions or Comments about the Demolition Application

For comments or questions about the application to demolish your unit or building, you should contact your property manager. You can also contact the City of Toronto Planner managing the demolition application review. Their name and contact information can be found on any City notice that you have received about the demolition application for your building.

More Information

  • For more information about the development application, enter your address into the City’s Development Application Information Centre.
  • You can also attend a consultation meeting organized by the City; you should receive notice by mail

Take action

Invite Me To Your Event
Community Resources
Contact 311
Phone: 416-392-7903
Constituency Office: 100 Queen St W, A5, Toronto, ON M5H 2N2