The Native Women’s Resource Centre of Toronto (NWRCT) is delighted to announce the Minaake Awards – Toronto’s first Aboriginal Women and Youth’s Community Achievement Awards on Wednesday, April 10th, 2013 in Toronto. In Ojibwe, “Minaake” means people who are on the good path. This event brings the community together to celebrate local Aboriginal women and youth who have made positive changes in their lives, made significant contributions to their communities, and are an inspiration to others.
Limited number of tickets available – buy today to reserve your space!
The evening event will feature:
· Special MC Sandra Laronde and Aboriginal Presenters
· Musical performances
· Light appetizers and drink, including traditional food
· Silent Auction
· Native arts and crafts
· Presentation of 6 Achievement Awards: Leadership, Advocacy and Human Rights, The Good Path, LGTB2S/Two-Spirited, Challenger (Youth) and Culture Keeper. (Nominations closed on March 11, 2013)
$75/ticket. All event proceeds will support core services at the Centre.
Refunds will not be made available.
This event will give you opportunity to:
· Network with like-minded, socially conscious individuals from diverse fields (e.g. government, industry, community, and academia)
· Show your support for Toronto’s urban Aboriginal community
· Be inspired by the incredible work of Toronto community members
Special MC: Sandra Laronde Bio
Renowned for her deep passion and commitment to the arts,Sandra Laronde is an accomplished innovator in the artistic and cultural sector as a director, producer, choreographer, performer, and creative leader. In 2000, Sandra founded Red Sky, Canada’s leading company in contemporary Indigenous performance in dance, theatre and music. Currently, she is also the Director of Indigenous Arts at The Banff Centre, a globally respected arts and cultural institution. She is originally from the Teme-Augama-Anishnaabe (People of the Deep Water) in Temagami, Ontario. For more information, visit:http://www.redskyperformance.com/about-sandra-laronde