I have lost income due to COVID-19, should I apply for CERB or Employment Insurance (EI)?

As of April 6, there is just one starting application site for EI sickness and CERB. If you have stopped working because of COVID-19, the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) may provide you with temporary income support.

The CERB provides taxable benefit of $2,000 every 4 weeks for up to 28 weeks.

This benefit applies to:

  • Parents who must stay home without pay to care for children who are sick or at home because of closures.
  • Those who need to take sick leave 
  • Those who are ill, in self-isolation or quarantine
  • Those who are caring for someone who is sick with COVID-19
  • Workers who are still employed but are not receiving income, or workers who have lost their job and meet the following additional criteria; 
    • Have ceased working for at least 14 days within the four-week period during which you will receive a CERB payment for reasons relating to COVID-19;
    • Individuals who are at least 15 years old
    • You have not voluntarily quit your job; and
    • You are not receiving income from employment or self-employment; benefits from a provincial plan for pregnancy or adoption and any other income identified by the government
  • You must also have earned at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the past 12 months (maternity, parental, or adoptions benefits count) 

Learn more about the Canada Emergency Response Benefit including eligibility, and how to apply here.

Phone: 416-392-7903
Constituency Office: 100 Queen St W A5, Toronto, ON, M5H 2N2