Before we get started, here are some common terms and phrases related to planning and development that you should be familiar with.
- City Planning/Planners: the team of professional urban planners who work on behalf of a municipality
- Official Plan: the guiding policy document for land-use planning decisions in a municipality
- Provincial policy: provincial direction on land-use planning matters
- Tribunal member: refers to an adjudicator at a provincial quasi-judicial tribunal. In recent history, the tribunal has been called either the Ontario Municipal Board, the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal, or the Ontario Land Tribunal.
- Zoning By-Law: a municipality’s technical standards and requirements for new buildings, such as height, setbacks, and parking requirements